News & Information
The Division of Private Occupational Schools Board ("Board") will be holding a public rulemaking hearing immediately following the regularly scheduled board meeting:
Date: March 27, 2018
Time: 12:00 PM Following The Board Meeting
Location: Tivoli Student Center
Auraria Higher Education Campus Room 320 B & C
900 Auraria Parkway
Denver, CO 80204
Public Notice of Board Meeting - February 27, 2018
Stakeholder Meeting Notice for Rulemaking - Friday, February 9, 2018, 10:30 a.m.
- The Division will hold a stakeholder meeting on Friday, February 9, 2018, at 10:30 AM, at 1560 Broadway, Denver, CO 80202. Stakeholder input will be limited to the attached rule revisions under consideration. You may also email your written comments to Lisa Hill at firstname.lastname@example.org, no later than 5:00 PM on Thursday, February 8, 2018. Your comments will be incorporated into the official rulemaking record.
- Stakeholder Notice
- Redline Rules
Office of Barber and Cosmetology Licensure Rulemaking Hearing - October 30, 2017
- Click here for more information.
- Please note that the Office of Barber and Cosmetology Licensure (OBC) has issued Notice for the Rulemaking hearing on Monday, October 30, 2017. The proposed changes to the rules will affect all Cosmetology related schools, specifically as the rules relate to training offered at the schools. During the Private Occupational School Board’s meeting on October 24, 2017, the Board discussed its concerns with the proposed changes to the OBC rules. Accordingly, the Board has drafted a position statement that will be presented to the Office of Barber and Cosmetology urging OBC to maintain required hours of training in each of the programs subject matter areas , or at least minimum hours required in each of the subject matter areas. Once the Board’s position statement is finalized and ratified, it will be posted to the DPOS website.
- Board's Position Statement
- Both the Division and Board are encouraging your school to provide input on Monday, October 30, 2017, at 10:00 a.m. at 1560 Broadway, Conference Room 110D, Denver, Colorado if you or your school wish to stand and or speak in support of the Board’s position or provide additional input on the proposed rule changes.
- The Division of Private Occupational Schools has posted a Request For Proposal (RFP) and Budget Template from qualifying vendors on the Colorado Vendor Self Service system for a new Information Management System. Occupational Schools are NOT required to review the RFP, but if interested, you may view it on the Colorado Vendor Self Service (ColoradoVSS) website and can search using either the name: Private Occupational Schools Information Management System, or the RFP number: #2018000079. To view the RFP, click the “Public Access” option but, if vendors want to bid, registration for the ColoradoVSS system is required.
The deadlines are as follows:
Question Submittal Deadline- October 25th
DPOS Response to Questions Submitted- November 3rd
Proposal Submittal Date- November 17th
All questions should be submitted via email to the Procurement Officer, Richard Maestas, at Richard.Maestas@dhe.state.co.us.
Please review the following documents that answer all questions that have been submitted to the Division regarding the RFP.
Notice to ALL Private Occupational School Directors - re: Quarterly Student Assessments DUE OCTOBER 15, 2017
- Click here to access the online reporting and/or payment
Notice of Office of Barber and Cosmetology Licensure Policy 14 Revisions Effective immediately
Notice to ALL Private Occupational School Directors - re: Annual Filings DUE JULY 31, 2017
- Click here to access the notice,instructions, and forms for filling.
Notice to ALL Private Occupational School Directors – re Rule Changes and Fee Increases Effective January 31, 2017
On October 11, 2016, the Division posted notice and sent emails informing all stakeholders of the October 25, 2016 Stakeholders meeting held by the Division at its office to gather input from stakeholders concerning proposed rule changes. Additionally or in lieu of attending the meeting, stakeholders were given an opportunity to submit written comments that became a part of the official rulemaking record.
As required by the law, the Division filed the proposed rules and Notice of Proposed Rulemaking Hearing with the Secretary of State and the Department of Regulatory Agencies, Office of Policy and Research on October 31, 2016. Stakeholders were again provided an opportunity to submit written comments that became a part of the official rulemaking record. On December 6, 2016, the Private Occupational School Board held its Rulemaking Hearing during which time it discussed and considered all written comments and further testimony.
The rules can be found on the "LAWS & REGULATIONS" tab of the Division website.
By way of reminder, in-state schools renewing their Certificates of Approval in 2017 must submit a completed application by February 15, 2017. Please review the new fee schedule and ensure that your application is thorough, accurate and complete prior to submission. Any application that is NOT postmarked on or before January 30, 2017, or received and date stamped by the Division before 5:00 p.m. January 30, 2017 AND deemed complete by the Division will be subject to the new fee schedule which will be in effect on January 31, 2017.
November 2, 2016 - Heritage College (Colorado students only)
The Department of Higher Education, Division of Private Occupational Schools (DPOS) was notified on November 1, 2016, that Heritage College discontinued all instruction effective November 1, 2016. For more information, click here.
October 6, 2016 - Regency Beauty Institute (Fort Collins and Westminster)
We thank those schools interested in assisting Regency Beauty Institute students. The National Accrediting Commission of Career Arts & Sciences (NACCAS) is working closely with the school and the U.S. Department of Education to implement teach-out agreements. Please contact NACCAS at email@example.com to become an approved teach-out provider.
Colorado schools may enroll students. However, understand that there may be a delay in Title IV eligibility. NACCAS is asking that you remain patient while Regency updates Title IV records. Please note: Your school MUST be a Title IV approved school to accept Title IV students.
- Additionally, please visit www.naccas.org and www.regency.edu for the most up-to-date information.
September 29, 2016 - Regency Beauty Institute (Fort Collins and Westminster)
The Department of Higher Education, Division of Private Occupational Schools (DPOS) was notified on September 29, 2016, that Regency Beauty Institute discontinued all instruction effective September 28, 2016.
The Division is working diligently to assist students. We are working closely with Regency Beauty Institute to identify currently enrolled and attending students or students that may have been on a leave of absence. We are also working closely with the school’s accrediting agency, the National Accrediting Commission of Career Arts & Sciences (“NACCAS”), to establish train-out opportunities.
- This page will be updated as new information becomes available.
September 13, 2016 - ITT Tech Closure
- Click here to read important information regarding the closing of ITT Tech.
September 9, 2016 - IMPORTANT NOTICE - ITT Technical Institutes (Aurora and Westminster)
- On September 6, 2016, ITT Technical Institute, a private occupational school regulated by the Colorado Division of Private Occupational Schools (“Division”), Department of Higher Education, discontinued operations. The Division is working diligently to find opportunities that will enable the students to continue their education and training at another school offering the same or similar programs as soon as possible. As information becomes available, the Division will keep students apprised by posting updates on the Division’s website.
Notice to ALL Barbering and Cosmetology Schools - re: Division audit of curriculum in response to Policy 14
Notice regarding Enrollment and Placement Statistics
Office of Barber and Cosmetology Licensure
- Policy 14: Training Hour Conversion Rate and Guideline
Notice to Barbering and Cosmetology Schools - re: Office of Barber and Cosmetology changes concerning contact hours for licensure
Colorado Open Records Act
- The Colorado Department of Higher Education is committed to transparency and open government. Please review our revised Colorado Open Records Act Policy for information about fees associated with processing CORA requests.
The National Consumer Law Center (NCLC) has developed a tremendous resource to assist students with loan issues. The website has information on how to work through a default, repayment issues, renegotiating loans, other payment options, etc. http://www.studentloanborrowerassistance.org/