At its May 8, 2015 meeting the Colorado Commission on Higher Education (CCHE) approved a process to develop a statewide policy for prior learning assessment (PLA). The first phase of this process, for which we are seeking faculty input, is to consider common statewide cut scores on Advanced Placement (AP) and International Baccalaureate (IB) exams for which students will be awarded general education/gtPathways credit. (Awarding credit as it applies to the major is the next phase).
PLA Webinars on CLEP & DSST for Faculty - February 3 & 4, 2016
For more information,contact email@example.com
Research and Other States' Policies
- AP Student Success at the College Level (see especially, pg. 4, Fig. 1)
- AP Students in College: An Analysis of 5-Year Academic Careers (this is the full research study summarized in the brief above)
- FLORIDA Performance on AP Exams and Subsequent Coursework (FL law mandated college credit be awarded for an AP score of 3)
- CLEP Brochure Academic Success in Higher Education
- CLEP Research & Statistics
- PLA Fueling the Race
- Ohio AP Report-Impacts on Academic Outcomes (OH also mandated college credit be awarded for an AP score of 3)
- First College Courses Taken by IB Students (summary of findings on pp. 1-2)
- Supplemental Information on IB and Cut Scores
- IB Statistical Bulletin – May 2014 (pp. 16-21 show the percent of students scoring at each cut score for the SL vs. HL versions. The IB exams we’re considering are highlighted in yellow)
- Research on IB Diploma Program Graduates and Enrollment and Outcomes in Postsecondary Education
- Research - academic performance of IB students entering U of CA 2010
- Fordham 2007 - IB vs AP - Compares Language A SL-Bio SL-Math SL-History SL to AP
- Approved Process for Statewide Prior Learning Assessment Policy (This is the CCHE approved process we are following. This document contains more research, and other states’ policies in Appendix B with lots of links.)
- DSST Website
Exam and Course Guides
Note that AP has one “course and exam description” for each of its exams. IB, on the other hand, has a 2-3 page “curriculum brief” as well as a lengthier “curriculum guide” for each exam, and for both the Higher Level (HL) and Standard Level (SL) versions. As explained in the curriculum guides, the Higher Level courses and exams require greater work of students in quality and quantity and successfully passing.
CLEP Exam and Course Guides - To access:
1. Send an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org
2. In the subject Line of email type - "CLEP Resource Center access request"
3. Include the following information in your email:
• Your name
• Email address
DSST Exam Fact Sheets with Content Outline available here
DSST Exam and Course Guides available here
Click here for more information on Advanced Placement on College Board’s website.
Click here for more information on International Baccalaureate at its website.
Click here for more information on CLEP.
Click here for more information on DSST.