Coloradans wear college, military, or apprenticeship gear to encourage young people to reach higher
DENVER – April 26, 2022: The Colorado Department of Higher Education is pleased to declare Friday, April 29 as Decision Day. The statewide campaign celebrates the importance of higher education and encourages Colorado students to reach higher—whether they attend a university, community college, private occupational school, serve as an apprentice or in the military.
On Decision Day, Coloradans are encouraged to wear apparel from their alma mater, favorite school, or future program to rally in support of students on their path to postsecondary success. To participate online, supporters can post photos on Twitter and Facebook tagging @CoHigherEd and @CollegeInCO with #DecisionDayCO and #CollegeSigningDay.
“Decision Day celebrates our students' educational aspirations, honoring dignity in all paths," said Colorado Department of Higher Education Executive Director Dr. Angie Paccione. “High school seniors have spent the last several months researching options, applying to programs, and filing the FAFSA and CASFA. Wearing our gear shows we appreciate their hard work and that we believe in their potential."
Today, 75% of jobs in Colorado require some form of postsecondary education, making Colorado's demand for college-educated adults among the highest in the nation. Research from the Colorado Workforce Development Council shows that the majority of Tier 1 Top Jobs (90.7%), require a credential past high school. Tier 1 jobs are classified as a job that provides a living hourly wage threshold that can support a family of three with two adults—one working—and one child. Today, 61% of Coloradans hold a post-high school credential.
Decision Day encourages participation statewide from schools, businesses, alumni groups, and organizations. Event highlights include the following:
- GEAR UP Seniors from Gateway High School visit the State Capitol: Twenty-four Gateway High School (Aurora Public Schools) students will participate in a special recognition ceremony, where they will be celebrated for choosing a path or program after high school. Invited students will mingle with lawmakers, cabinet members, college and university mascots. The event kicks off at 10:30 a.m. in the west foyer at the state capitol.
- Tentative agenda:
- Lieutenant Governor Dianne Primavera
- CDHE Executive Director, Dr. Angie Paccione
- Representative Barbara McLachlan
- Gateway High School Principal, Scott Fiske
- GEAR UP Student Speakers Jason Vu and Dayanira Gallegos
- Tentative agenda:
- Digital Campaign: Coloradans are encouraged to share selfies on Twitter and Facebook using #DecisionDayCO. Find sample social media posts, graphics, and informational flyers here.
- Resources: High school juniors and seniors can explore resources here.
Members of the media are encouraged to attend Decision Day at the Capitol. Please RSVP to Megan McDermott, at firstname.lastname@example.org.