Thank you for your interest in the Colorado Educator Loan Forgiveness Program!
What is the Colorado Educator Loan Forgiveness Program (ELF)?
In 2019, Colorado legislators passed to address Colorado’s educator shortages by providing loan forgiveness to educators. The law authorizes CDHE to offer loan repayment assistance on qualified loans for educators, mainly for those who serve in rural and hard-to-fill positions in Colorado.
Those that qualify are eligible to receive up to $5,000 in loan forgiveness for a given year. The program is currently funded for five years. For those individuals that continue to qualify, they may apply every year of the program for up to $5,000 in loan forgiveness annually. CDHE can only approve 100 program participants each year, so not every educator who applies will receive loan forgiveness.
History of the Program
Unfortunately, CDHE was not able to present loan forgiveness awards to applicants in the 2019-2020 fiscal year because of the COVID-19 pandemic and resulting impact on the state budget. CDHE is excited to be working toward once again standing up this program in the 2021-2022 fiscal year.
The 2021-2022 fiscal year will be the first year the program distributes loan forgiveness awards to 100 qualifying applicants.
The Department is actively working to develop a user-friendly electronic application that is anticipated to open in December 2021.
This round of applications will close mid-April 2022 with a distribution of funds in July 2022. Information will be updated on this website as it becomes available.
Who Can Apply?
Program qualifications are as follows:
- Must currently work in a Colorado public school (preK-12) for the 2021-2022 school year (this includes BOCES and facility schools) as a teacher, administrator, or special service provider
- Must work in an approved rural school/district or work in a content-shortage area in a non-rural school/district
- Must hold a current Colorado license/endorsement for the subject you are teaching/working in
- Student loans must have been incurred during completion of an educator preparation program or from a higher education degree in your qualified subject area
- First preference will be given to applicants in approved rural schools/districts, followed by applicants in content-shortage area in non-rural schools/districts
Please check back on this website periodically for updates on application opening dates, etc.
If you have any questions, you may contact: EdLoanForgiveness@dhe.state.co.us