News & Information
Public Notice of Board Meeting - July 25, 2017
Notice to ALL Private Occupational School Directors - re: Annual Filings DUE JULY 31, 2017
- Click here to access the notice,instructions, and forms for filling.
Notice to ALL Private Occupational School Directors - re: Quarterly Student Assessments DUE JULY 15, 2017
- Click here to access the online reporting and/or payment
Notice to ALL Private Occupational School Directors – re Rule Changes and Fee Increases Effective January 31, 2017
On October 11, 2016, the Division posted notice and sent emails informing all stakeholders of the October 25, 2016 Stakeholders meeting held by the Division at its office to gather input from stakeholders concerning proposed rule changes. Additionally or in lieu of attending the meeting, stakeholders were given an opportunity to submit written comments that became a part of the official rulemaking record.
As required by the law, the Division filed the proposed rules and Notice of Proposed Rulemaking Hearing with the Secretary of State and the Department of Regulatory Agencies, Office of Policy and Research on October 31, 2016. Stakeholders were again provided an opportunity to submit written comments that became a part of the official rulemaking record. On December 6, 2016, the Private Occupational School Board held its Rulemaking Hearing during which time it discussed and considered all written comments and further testimony.
The rules can be found on the "LAWS & REGULATIONS" tab of the Division website.
By way of reminder, in-state schools renewing their Certificates of Approval in 2017 must submit a completed application by February 15, 2017. Please review the new fee schedule and ensure that your application is thorough, accurate and complete prior to submission. Any application that is NOT postmarked on or before January 30, 2017, or received and date stamped by the Division before 5:00 p.m. January 30, 2017 AND deemed complete by the Division will be subject to the new fee schedule which will be in effect on January 31, 2017.
November 2, 2016 - Heritage College (Colorado students only)
The Department of Higher Education, Division of Private Occupational Schools (DPOS) was notified on November 1, 2016, that Heritage College discontinued all instruction effective November 1, 2016. For more information, click here.
October 6, 2016 - Regency Beauty Institute (Fort Collins and Westminster)
We thank those schools interested in assisting Regency Beauty Institute students. The National Accrediting Commission of Career Arts & Sciences (NACCAS) is working closely with the school and the U.S. Department of Education to implement teach-out agreements. Please contact NACCAS at email@example.com to become an approved teach-out provider.
Colorado schools may enroll students. However, understand that there may be a delay in Title IV eligibility. NACCAS is asking that you remain patient while Regency updates Title IV records. Please note: Your school MUST be a Title IV approved school to accept Title IV students.
- Additionally, please visit www.naccas.org and www.regency.edu for the most up-to-date information.
September 29, 2016 - Regency Beauty Institute (Fort Collins and Westminster)
The Department of Higher Education, Division of Private Occupational Schools (DPOS) was notified on September 29, 2016, that Regency Beauty Institute discontinued all instruction effective September 28, 2016.
The Division is working diligently to assist students. We are working closely with Regency Beauty Institute to identify currently enrolled and attending students or students that may have been on a leave of absence. We are also working closely with the school’s accrediting agency, the National Accrediting Commission of Career Arts & Sciences (“NACCAS”), to establish train-out opportunities.
- This page will be updated as new information becomes available.
September 13, 2016 - ITT Tech Closure
- Click here to read important information regarding the closing of ITT Tech.
September 9, 2016 - IMPORTANT NOTICE - ITT Technical Institutes (Aurora and Westminster)
- On September 6, 2016, ITT Technical Institute, a private occupational school regulated by the Colorado Division of Private Occupational Schools (“Division”), Department of Higher Education, discontinued operations. The Division is working diligently to find opportunities that will enable the students to continue their education and training at another school offering the same or similar programs as soon as possible. As information becomes available, the Division will keep students apprised by posting updates on the Division’s website.
Notice to ALL Barbering and Cosmetology Schools - re: Division audit of curriculum in response to Policy 14
Notice regarding Enrollment and Placement Statistics
Office of Barber and Cosmetology Licensure
- Policy 14: Training Hour Conversion Rate and Guideline
Notice to Barbering and Cosmetology Schools - re: Office of Barber and Cosmetology changes concerning contact hours for licensure
Colorado Open Records Act
- The Colorado Department of Higher Education is committed to transparency and open government. Please review our revised Colorado Open Records Act Policy for information about fees associated with processing CORA requests.
The National Consumer Law Center (NCLC) has developed a tremendous resource to assist students with loan issues. The website has information on how to work through a default, repayment issues, renegotiating loans, other payment options, etc. http://www.studentloanborrowerassistance.org/