Filing a Student Complaint concerning a PRIVATE (Non-Public) Institution

The Colorado Department of Higher Education (CDHE) is a coordinating agency, not a regulatory agency. Therefore, the CDHE has limited jurisdiction over institutions of higher education (IHEs) in the state of Colorado.

Prior to filing a complaint with the CDHE, students must follow the appeal procedures at their IHE. Each IHE has a process for addressing student complaints. Filing a complaint with the CDHE is the last resort.

  1. Complaints filed with the CDHE must be filed through the online student complaint form.
  2. In the case of private (non-public) institutions, the CDHE is authorized to investigate the following types of complaints:
    1. Claims of deceptive trade practice
  3. The CDHE does not have authority to resolve complaints between an individual and a private (non-public) institution including but not limited to:
    1. Academic freedom
    2. Admission decisions
    3. Curriculum content
    4. Grades
    5. IHE's Student Code of Conduct
    6. Issues of discrimination
    7. Quality of teaching
    8. Religious freedom
    9. Transcript holds
    10. Tuition and fees
  4. Pursuant to §23-2-104 (2)(a), C.R.S., If a former student files a complaint, he or she must do so within two years after discontinuing enrollment at the institution.  The CDHE is unable to initiate an investigation of a complaint if outside of the two years. 


Have you filed a complaint with your institution?

If not, please review your student handbook or catalog; contact your advisor; or contact the Student Services department on your campus to find out how to pursue filing a complaint at your institution.