Filing a Student Complaint concerning a PUBLIC Institution

The Colorado Department of Higher Education (CDHE) is a coordinating agency, not a regulatory agency. Therefore, the CDHE has limited jurisdiction over institutions of higher education (IHEs) in the state of Colorado.

Prior to filing a complaint with the CDHE, students must follow the appeal procedures at their IHE. Each IHE has a process for addressing student complaints. Filing a complaint with the CDHE is the last resort.

  1. Complaints filed with the CDHE must be filed through the online student complaint form.
  2. The CDHE may only consider complaints pertaining to:
    1. Statewide transfer and GT Pathways issues.
    2. The Student Bill of Rights
  3. The CDHE does not have authority to resolve complaints between an individual and the institution including but not limited to:
    1. Academic freedom
    2. Admission decisions
    3. Billing issues
    4. Curriculum content
    5. Grades
    6. Health insurance requirements
    7. IHE's Student Code of Conduct
    8. Issues of discrimination
    9. Quality of teaching
    10. Religious freedom
    11. Transcript holds
    12. Tuition classification


Have you filed a complaint with your institution?

If not, please review your student handbook or catalog; contact your advisor; or contact the Student Services department on your campus to find out how to pursue filing a complaint at your institution.