Frequently Asked Questions

Are the colleges and universities that offer Extended Studies courses and degree programs accredited?
Yes. Every public Colorado college or university has institutional-level accreditation by the North Central Association’s Higher Learning Commission and is approved to offer academic coursework and degrees by the Colorado Commission on Higher Education.

Are individual Extended Studies courses and degree programs accredited?
Check with the institution. Some programs or degrees at an institution (particularly in professional fields) may have accreditation from a specialized agency or association. Students preparing for careers that require licensure should inquire with their state or licensing agency to determine if specialized accreditation of their program or degree is required.

Are online Extended Studies courses and degree programs accredited?
An institution’s accreditation will generally encompass all methods of delivery. You can visit the Higher Learning Commission’s website to view an institution’s Stipulation on Approval of Distance Education degrees to see if the institution has approval to offer online degrees. Click here and then select the institution you want to attend.

How do I enroll in Extended Studies courses or degree programs?
Call, visit or e-mail any of the Extended Studies offices at one of the participating institutions. You will enroll directly with that college or university.

If I am enrolled as a regular student at one of the participating schools, can I take an Extended Studies course from my college and/or another extended campus college?
Yes, contact the Extended Studies office at your college. If you take a course from another participating institution, you will first need to ensure the course will transfer to your home institution. It is recommended that you talk to your advisor prior to enrolling in any Extended Studies course.

Will Extended Studies courses transfer?
Maybe. It is always wise to check with the appropriate academic department of the college that will receive the transferred course so that you are sure if and how that course will be applied toward a degree at the receiving institution.

How much do Statewide Extended Studies courses cost?
Each institution establishes its own tuition and fee rates. Additional administrative and course fees may be applied. For more information on tuition and fees, check with the insitution's Extended Studies office.

Am I eligible for financial aid?
Maybe. Contact the financial aid office or the Extended Studies office at the institution you will be attending to acquire the information needed to apply for financial aid.

How can I take courses if I cannot come to a campus?
Extended Studies coursework is offered through a variety of distance education formats. These include on-line courses, correspondence, video, interactive television and interactive CD.

Who teaches Extended Studies courses?
Courses are taught by regular full-time faculty, institution approved adjunct faculty and individuals who are experts in the content of the course.

Where can I find the Colorado Commission on Higher Education (CCHE) policy on Statewide Extended Studies?
The policy is linked here or call the Colorado Department of Higher Education at 303-866-2723.

Where can I file a complaint about an Extended Studies course, instructor or transferring a course?
Each institution of higher education has a complaint policy and students should follow the complaint policy at the institution where they are or were enrolled. If, after exhausting all possibilities for resolution at the institution, students may file a complaint with the Colorado Department of Higher Education by visiting here. In most cases, the Colorado Department of Higher Education does not have the authority to resolve student complaints but can act as an advisor and help students to understand their rights under Colorado law.