SURDS Educator Preparation File Description
Added January 28, 2009; Last updated July 8, 2011
Pursuant to Colorado Revised Statute §23-1-121(4)(c), the Colorado Department of
Higher Education (DHE) shall work cooperatively with each institution of higher
education that offers an educator preparation program to obtain any data
requested by the department. The Department of Higher Education uses this data
to prepare a report to the House and Senate Education Committees on enrollment
in and review of educator preparation programs in Colorado and to link Colorado
educators to the preparation program from which they graduated as part of the
new Educator Identifier System (C.R.S. §22-68.5).
A row in the file is a STUDENT x TERM x ENDORSEMENT PROGRAM. Include all
STUDENTS x TERMS IN THE FISCAL YEAR in which the student is accepted into and
enrolled in courses in an endorsement program. This includes teacher, principal,
administrator and special education endorsement area programs, as well as any
endorsement listed in the Field Definitions. If students are enrolled in more
than one endorsement program then they need to be shown as one record for each
Do not report students in terms in which they were not enrolled in such
endorsement programs, even if they were enrolled in other programs at your
institution. For example, if Jane Doe is in fall SURDS enrollment as a history
major but was not accepted into and enrolled in classes in an endorsement
program in fall, and then in spring is in SURDS enrollment as a history major
and also had been accepted into and enrolled in classes in an endorsement
program, then report Jane Doe's spring enrollment in the Educator Preparation
File, but not her fall enrollment.
Please note that candidates working towards the following endorsements may or
may not be distinguishable from non-educator preparation candidates in the same
programs: Audiologist, School Counselor, School Nurse, School Physical
Therapist, School Psychologist, School Social Worker and Speech/Language
Pathologist. If your institution does not distinguish between those candidates
who will likely go on for educator licensure and those who will not, please
report all candidates in the program so these individuals will show up when the
Educator Preparation File is linked with the state’s Educator ID System.
Enrollment in these endorsements will not be reported in the annual report to
the General Assembly because there is no reliable way to predict which of the
candidates in these programs will go on to work in a P-12 setting.For public
institutions of higher education only, data reported about a student in the
Educator Preparation File should match similar data reported on SURDS enrollment
to the extent possible. All student x term combinations in the Educator
Preparation File for an institution should also be in a SURDS enrollment file
for the institution for the fiscal year. August Educator Preparation Files
should cover the fiscal year ending with the immediately prior spring term.
ENDORSEMENT PROGRAMS BY INSTITUTION
If in doubt and you want clarification, contact
Ian.Macgillivray@dhe.state.co.us or 303-866-3846.
For a complete list of the endorsement programs offered at your institution, for
which you should report enrollment in the Teacher Ed File, please visit
http://highered.colorado.gov/Academics/TeacherEd/ and then scroll down to and
click on “Approved Educator Preparation Programs in Colorado.” The first two
pages of that document are a “Quick Reference” that show which endorsement
programs are offered at your institution. The following pages can be used for
additional information and show degree programs by endorsement areas by
institution, including CIP and where to find a description of the endorsement in
the Rules for the Administration of the Educator Licensing Act of 1991.
July 15, 2011
Re: Educator Preparation File (previously known as Teacher Ed File) submission to SURDS
Pursuant to Colorado Revised Statute §23-1-121(4)(c), the Colorado Department of Higher Education (DHE) shall work cooperatively with each institution of higher education that offers an educator preparation program to obtain any data requested by the department. DHE requests you report enrollment in your educator preparation programs. The Educator Preparation File (previously known as the Teacher Ed File) is submitted to the SURDS database annually. The name has been changed to reflect that enrollment in every educator endorsement program be reported, whether teacher, principal, reading specialist, school counselor, and so on. The state uses this data to prepare a report to the House and Senate Education Committees on enrollment in and review of educator preparation programs in Colorado and to link Colorado educators to the preparation program from which they graduated as part of the new Educator Identifier System, pursuant to C.R.S. §22-68.5. DHE is working collaboratively with the educator preparation programs at your institution to use this data to provide feedback on your programs’ graduates with the goals of improving preparation and more effective educators.
The submission deadline for the Educator Preparation File is August 19, 2011. If you require an extension please notify email@example.com. Please login to SURDS (https://surds.colorado.gov) and submit your file. Once you have submitted a file with no remaining errors, please finalize it by “signing off” on the file.
Please note the following changes to this year’s file:
- The old Race/Ethnicity field (Field #6) has been phase out and should be left blank. Please use the new federally defined race and ethnicity fields 14 through 20.
- Candidates enrolled in post-baccalaureate programs should be reported in field #9 as “20-Non Degree-Seeking Undergraduate Students With a Bachelor’s Degree—categorized by institution as an undergraduate student (should include post-baccalaureate students pursuing educator preparation endorsement).” If a candidate is enrolled in a master’s or doctoral level degree program, then they should be reported under “31- Master’s” or 52, 53, or 54 for “Doctoral.” Please refer to the Field Definitions (link below).
- This is for publics only because privates do not report CIP codes. Please do not report a CIP for candidates not enrolled in a degree program (BA, BS, MA, MEd, Phd, and so on). The only instance I can think of where this will be the case is for post-bacc candidates who already have a bachelor’s degree, are not enrolled in a degree program, and are only completing the necessary coursework to fulfill licensing requirements. When it comes to reporting approved CIP codes for candidates who ARE enrolled in degree programs, please refer to “Approved Educator Preparation Programs in Colorado” linked below if you have any questions.
- Field 21 has been added: “Was the candidate enrolled in your institution’s alternative certification program?” (applies only to CCU, MSCD, UCCS, & WSC). This is a one character field, the default for which is set to “0” for “no.” If the candidate is in your institution’s alternative certification route, please change to “1” for “yes.” DHE is requesting this data because it will help us compare the effectiveness of graduates of both traditional versus alternative programs.
- Field 22 has been added: “Did the candidate complete the endorsement program and was the candidate eligible to receive an institutional recommendation for licensure?” This is a one character field, the default for which is set to “0” for “no.” If, “yes,” please change to “1.” DHE is requesting this data because it will allow the state to track completion rates as well as which completers did or did not go on to get a teaching license from CDE.
- Same as last year, if you are unable to distinguish which candidates in the following endorsement areas will go on to work in P12 schools, please report total enrollment in these programs so those individuals will show up in the file when linked with other databases: Audiologist (11.01), School Counselor (11.09), School Nurse (11.05), School Physical Therapist (11.04), School Psychologist (11.06), School Social Worker (11.07) and Speech/Language Pathologist (11.08).
Please note the following resources to assist you with the Educator Preparation File:
Should you encounter any technical problems accessing the website or submitting your file, or if you have questions regarding any errors in the submission, please contact our SURDS website administrator, Ryan Allred (firstname.lastname@example.org). Please let me know if you have any other questions. Thanks much for your cooperation.
Ian K. Macgillivray, Ph.D.
Academic Policy Officer/Educator Preparation