Guaranteed Transfer and Guided Pathways

Helping students maximize transfer credit, save money and ease the transition to a four-year school


To help you avoid taking unnecessary courses and earn your degree in as little time as possible, Colorado has developed a general education curriculum that forms the core of most bachelor’s degrees and is guaranteed to transfer between all public colleges and universities. Colorado has also developed guided degree pathways to eliminate the guesswork of which courses to take. You should always seek advising from the appropriate advisor at the college or university you plan to attend to ensure you are selecting the appropriate coursework for your degree and to ensure its transferability.

For more information, consult the PDF Degree Completion and Transfer Guide for Students, Parents, Guidance Counselors and Advisors. You may also want to read Institutional Transfer Guides published by institutions of higher education in Colorado. Or print out and share this handy one-pager.

Guaranteed Transfer Pathways General Education Curriculum

The guaranteed transfer (gtPathways) general education curriculum forms the core of most* bachelor’s degrees. This takes some of the guesswork out of transfer because gtPathways courses, in which the student earned a C- or higher, will always transfer and the credit will apply to gtPathways requirements in every Liberal Arts & Sciences bachelor’s degree at every public Colorado institution.

Depending on the bachelor’s degree, gtPathways course credit may also be applied to major and elective requirements at the receiving institution’s discretion.

Courses that are gtPathways approved are designated as such in each institution’s Course Catalog. Please see: gtPathways Curriculum and Approved Courses at All Colorado Colleges and Universities.


* Note: While gtPathways forms the core of all Liberal Arts & Sciences bachelor’s degrees (like English, biology, psychology and so on) it may not form the core of some bachelor’s degrees (like engineering, nursing and computer science). See the link below for a list of those degrees.

Guided Degree Pathways

Statewide Transfer Articulation Agreements / Degrees with Designation

A Statewide Transfer Articulation Agreement is an agreement among Colorado community colleges and universities. These agreements allow you to graduate from a community college with a 60-credit Associate of Arts (A.A.) or Associate of Science (A.S.) degree with designation, such as an Associate of Arts in Business; enroll with junior status at a university; and complete the bachelor’s degree in no more than an additional 60 credits (for a total of 120 credits). If you attend full-time (15 credits per semester) and follow the structured schedule, you can complete your bachelor’s degree in 4 years. Here is a list of the agreements:

Other Transfer Agreements

The following transfer agreements have different requirements and guarantees from the agreements listed above. Please check with the community college where you start and the university you wish to transfer into to ensure you are registering for the appropriate courses.

Transfer Guides

Besides the transfer agreements listed above, all universities have transfer guides. If you complete an Associate of Arts or Associate of Science degree, then 60 credit hours of your A.A. or A.S. degree are guaranteed to transfer to a university, once you are accepted for admission. And, you will be able to finish most Bachelor of Arts or Bachelor of Science degrees within another 60 credit hours and 4 years (if you take 15 credits per semester and follow the structured schedule).

Note that some bachelor’s degrees require more than an additional 60 credits to complete. You should follow the institutional transfer guide (they are linked below) to ensure you take the correct courses as part of your associate’s degree. You should always seek advising from the appropriate advisor at the college or university you plan to attend to ensure you are selecting the appropriate coursework for your degree and to ensure its transferability.

Degree Within Reach

Degree Within Reach is the state of Colorado’s way of describing “reverse transfer,” a new process allowing students who have transferred from a Colorado community college to a Colorado university to combine credits from both institutions and apply them towards an associate’s degree.

If you are a  transfer student, this means you can complete the associate’s degree you started at your community college while still working toward your bachelor’s degree. You could be eligible even if you left a four-year institution before earning any degree.

Current and former students who transferred since summer 2012 from a Colorado community college to one of the participating four-year institutions could be eligible.

Career and Technical Education

Students who successfully complete Career and Technical Education (CTE) coursework may be able to transfer the credit for those courses into an Associate of General Studies (A.G.S.) degree, an Associate of Applied Science (A.A.S.) degree or a related certificate program. CTE coursework completed at Delta-Montrose Technical College, Emily Griffith Technical College and Pickens Technical College may also transfer.

Click on for more information.

College In Colorado

Colorado ranks in the top five states nationwide for the greatest number of degree holders per capita, yet only one in five Colorado ninth-grade students will earn a college degree, ranking the state in the bottom quartile nationally.

College In Colorado was initiated by the Department of Higher Education to help all Coloradans explore career and education pathways, break down barriers to postsecondary attainment, and create a plan for their postsecondary and workforce success.

A cornerstone of the campaign,, offers a one-stop resource to help students and parents plan, apply and pay for college.

Need help?

If you encounter any problems transferring gtPathways coursework or an associate’s degree (covered by one of the agreements listed above) to another college or university, please speak to an advisor at your current school and at the school into which you will transfer. If you are unable to resolve the issue, you may file a student complaint to resolve the problem.

Get Adobe ReaderReports required Adobe Reader. You may download it for free at