Filing a Student Complaint concerning a PUBLIC Institution
The Colorado Department of Higher Education (CDHE) is a coordinating agency, not a regulatory agency. Therefore, the CDHE has limited jurisdiction over institutions of higher education (IHEs) in the state of Colorado.
Prior to filing a complaint with the CDHE, students must follow the appeal procedures at their IHE. Each IHE has a process for addressing student complaints. Filing a complaint with the CDHE is the last resort.
- Complaints filed with the CDHE must be filed through the online student complaint form.
- The CDHE may only consider complaints pertaining to:
- Statewide transfer and GT Pathways issues.
- The Student Bill of Rights
- The CDHE does not have authority to resolve complaints between an individual and the institution including but not limited to:
- Academic freedom
- Admission decisions
- Billing issues
- Curriculum content
- Health insurance requirements
- IHE's Student Code of Conduct
- Issues of discrimination
- Quality of teaching
- Religious freedom
- Transcript holds
- Tuition classification
Have you filed a complaint with your institution?
If not, please review your student handbook or catalog; contact your advisor; or contact the Student Services department on your campus to find out how to pursue filing a complaint at your institution.
If so, CLICK HERE.